Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Monday 10 May 2010

Wolfie was measured for his saddle on Saturday. The spring grass is coming through thick and fast and the battle with weight begins. I have asked again this year for the field to be divided with electric fencing and the grazing restricted. The majority of the boys in Wolfie's field are good doers and could all do with being strip grazed.

I long reined Wolfie tonight. At first he was a bit confused, but he remembered. He was very good and I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy long reining him around the fields. Although when I stood behind him tonight, I was like whoa, I actually felt slightly intimidated at first by the sheer size and power of him. It's over a year since I last long reined him, he is now a very big boy. I seem to have been oblivious to the changes Wolfie has gone through over winter. We long reined up and down a couple of hills. Wolfie seemed to really enjoy it and only had a couple of silly moments one of which was trying to bounce after a couple of lambs, but for the majority of the time he listened and was very responsive. I want to continue and long rein him up the hills to try and keep him active whilst he can't be ridden. Only problem is, I can't actually keep up with him. When he's walking forward I can barely keep up on the flat, but going uphill is worse especially if he powers up it. So here's to building up my fitness at the same time.

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

stand still and have him do figure eights.