Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Acrobatics

I've been thinking alot about the picture of all the horses lying down. You very rarely see all of them down at the one time. Then I realised the formation they had taken. Two lines of three back to back. They have every angle covered and between them can see 360 degrees. Clever.

I attempted to long rein Wolfie again tonight. I have been having him brought in during the day to get him off the grass and been giving him soaked hay to eat. This was my proposed idea to try and restrict his grass intake until the grazing gets restricted. However, whilst I wanted to concentrate on long reining, Wolfie's 5 year old mind and body had been stuck in a stable all day. All he wanted was out in the field with his friends. Half way up one of the fields, he started bucking which escalated into complete handstands giving me a birds eye view of his back feet. He was going every way but forward. He was performing some lovely passage and half pass. Eventually I managed to turn him and we crossed another field, still performing some lovely lateral work (not intentionally) and we returned home with Wolfie bouncing the whole way. That was one argument I wasn't going to enter into with a 5 year old who has been cooped up in a stable all day. It was a combination of freshness, boredom and frustration on his part and I fully understand why he did it. It wasn't badness, just how he was feeling. If the grazing was restricted he could stay out most of the day. The issue with fat horses is so widely publisised these days, and everyone that has any responsibility for any horse has a duty of care to ensure that measures are taken to control their weight but it is still so hard to try and get people to take it seriously. I'm thinking of buying my own fencing and putting it up during the night, see if anyone notices.

No comments: