Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Sunday 16 May 2010

I was looking at video clips on You Tube today and came across these clips of mules which have been clicker trained. I don't know how to copy the links so you just click on them to see them. I have always had a bit of a fascination for mules, despite only having ever met one once in my life when I spent a summer working in Wyoming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spp9ph4enCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-jwD1yg9A&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cget0_49Buo&feature=channel

The mule performing dressage movements at Liberty is brilliant. Three time canter, lateral movements and moments of self carriage. That mule could perform a nice dressage test. They are being rewarded for carrying out desired actions but look as though they are enjoying the work and the interaction. The girl working with them treats them with real kindness. Their ears are hilarious. What can I say, I want a mule.

Apparently mules are much less tolerant to dogs than horses and are capable of striking out with any of their hooves in any direction, even sideways if needed. Mules exhibit a higher cognitive intelligence than their parent species. They also aquire greater height and endurance than either parent. Mules are highly intelligent and the stereotype of the mule being stubborn appears to be somewhat unfair.





2 comments:

The Curates Egg said...

Can just see Buttons doing that! Do like their ears though.

Helen C said...

Great mule videos. I like the way clicker training encourages the animal to think for itself, it is not forced, it is completely at the animal's own free will and once achieved, it seems that the animal never forgets.

I suspect Buttons will catch on pretty quickly.