Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Monday 19 July 2010

This and That

I've had a fairly productive week and have managed to ride Wolfie consistently up until today when it was just too wet.  We've been hacking with H and J.  Wolfie's been pretty good, although on one ride he had a good spook at a rabbit darting out in front of him and took off.  He's very responsive and pulls up, but the forward going energy then gets transferred to on the spot bucking.  Anyway, it was a mild episode and he walked on quietly after it.  I hacked him on Friday in what turned out to be gale force winds.  I hadn't realised it was so windy until we got to the top of the hill and into the open.  Wolfie felt like he was going to explode at any second.  Certainly got the adrenaline pumping.  He managed to contain himself and we made it home unscathed, but I felt like I'd ridden a cross country course not hacked for twenty minutes around the fields.

I've been looking into trailer towing courses.  I phoned a local place to enquire what it would cost.  For 2 days towing and then sitting the test on the third day it is £878.00!!  Once I had picked myself up off the floor, I politely declined their offer to book me on the course at the moment thank you.  Imagine paying all that money and you failed.  I've found another place that does 2 hour lessons and you can hire their vehicle and trailer to sit the test.  I think that's more what I need to try and do and then have as many lessons as I can and then sit the test when I feel ready.  It's such a rip off, just because I passed my driving test after a certain date.

Buttons has been fine.  He's such a happy little guy, his glass is always half full although I think he's been spending vast amounts of time in the field shelter because of the rain.  The horses are starting to  lose their summer coats.  Winter is coming.  As soon as Wolfie's winter coat is through, he's getting clipped.  I was quite late in clipping him last year, but plan on doing it much sooner this year.

I have read that feeding dried nettles helps with itchy skin.  It's also supposed to bring out the dapples in the coat, Wolfie doesn't need any more dapples but I've been drying out nettles to add to his feed to try and help his skin.  I doubt he will be impressed.  My dad usually buys a couple of turnips each week for the horses.  I've noticed that Wolfie eats all of the turnip but leaves the bottom (where the flat bit is) about an half an inch thick.  Obviously he doesn't like that part.  Never mind, I give what's left to Buttons.  There's never anything wasted when Buttons is around.

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

Buttons and Abbey will clear up...


please can you sign this petition and perhaps forward it to anybody who you think would also like to sign it.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/endwildhorseracing/

this a video of why we need to sign it, its not pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N36fezTOsCA