Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Grounded

I decided to do a little ground work with Wolfie tonight instead of hacking as it looked as though it was going to pour down.  I've decided to try and teach him shoulder in from the ground to start with.  Having always ridden shoulder in, I have never tried to introduce it from the ground so it is a bit of a learning curve for us both.  I warmed him up and then just tried a few exercises to begin to teach him to step under and over.  Wolfie is not keen on being told off for anything and can be sulky about it, he does however love praise and to be told how good he's been.  One thing I have learned with him is that I have to be extra quick in praising and rewarding the slightest correct effort.  He learns so quickly and this encourages him to try again, he is a horse who wants to work with you and please.  This I feel is the key to 'unlocking' Wolfie and I have seen moments when he has demonstrated what an inspiring work ethic he could potentially have.  Once you have his attention and willingness he will give you 110%.  Whether it be out hacking or working from the ground, when he's tuned in, he really gives the feeling that it's complete teamwork, just you and him.  Tonight was good, he picked up the cues for stepping over quickly.  He does know how to move over ie in the stable and he has leg yielded .  Within minutes I was able to turn him on a large turn on the forehand, and then cross both directions in leg yield for a few steps back to the track.  At one point I looked at him and the look of concentration on his face was priceless.  Don't get me wrong, he's full of nonsense and sessions like this have to be kept short, but even to have a couple of minutes of good work makes it worthwhile.

1 comment:

Helen C said...

He obviously enjoys mental stimulation and learning new things. He is a clever little chap.