Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Sunday 30 December 2012

'Life isn't about waiting for the sun to shine, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

Christmas is over and the New Year is just around the corner.  It is still raining.  I mentioned in my last post that Wolfie seemed to be very itchy and rubbing his tail.  I was going ahead to treat it as pinworm, however he seemed to be itching at his sides and back and not just rubbing his tail.  I had checked through his coat thoroughly and couldn't find anything and his coat looked clean, no scurf or dandruff.  I decided to clip away some of his hair and found tiny little black scabby lumps and bigger swollen lumps which looked like hives.  I ended up giving him a full body clip.  I washed him down and gave him Piriton and have been applying his skin balm.  The hives have gone down and tiny scabs have came off across his back leaving bare skin.  He does seem to be a bit less itchy but I have no idea what this is.  It came on very suddenly.  Nothing has changed in his routine, feeding or management.  His coat looked in good condition and there was no evidence of anything bug like (I did Deosect him last week just incase).  I don't use any sprays or anything on him.  I'll probably give him another Ivermectin Wormer and if it doesn't clear, I'll call the Vet.  There will be no riding for a while as it's right across his back, although we haven't been doing anything anyway due to the weather.      

No comments: