Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Monday 2 January 2012

Happy New Year!

'what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey' Lemony Snicket.

It's 2012, another year has passed. In some ways, I would like to close the book on the events of 2011 and not re-open it. Wolfie's virus, Buttons laminitis, we lost 2 horses at the yard. Ridden wise I did not accomplish many, if any of the goals that I set out at the beginning of the year. However, on the other hand, we got through it, the three of us and we are a much stronger team because of it. I have learned many lessons from all that has happened. Both Wolfie and Buttons, despite being such different characters have one thing very much in common and that is spirit. I look at them now, their eyes are bright (Wolfie's gleaming with mischief)and they are both in good health and happy. I am so proud of them both and what we haven't achieved in terms of showing or competing, we have made up for in just spending time together and strengthening our partnership and our understanding of each other. Wolfie is back to misbehaving in the mornings, not standing to be rugged, bouncing around on the way to the field and generally just making a nuisance of himself. Those who have read previous posts will know that this is a pattern which occurs around about this time every year. He's bored and he's letting you know that it's time to get back into work, winter and his holiday is over for him. Normally, I get a bit upset about this, when I hear the tales of his 'naughtiness', however, this time, I am delighted. He is in great shape, he looks physically strong, he's back to cavorting and carrying on in the field. Wolfie is back and 'misbehaving' or not, I would rather have him this way than quiet. As soon as he gets back into consistent work, he settles down. I don't know what weather January will bring, but Wolfie's holiday is now over and I'm going to ride today. I am so excited to be getting back on him. Our main goals for this year, are to enjoy ourselves and have fun and we will do some Trec.

No comments: