Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Tuesday 4 January 2011

2011 - Bring it on!

I had originally planned, when I sat my trailer test to try and get Wolfie to one of the Kelly Marks Trec winter series events being ran on 23rd January.  The one I had planned to go to was in Lanarkshire, but whilst looking at the competition dates I've just realised that there is one being held at Sandyflats on the same date.  Sandyflats is really close to us and would have been perfect to get to, they have an indoor school, even if it had been just to take him for a look around.  Due to the recent weather grinding everything to a halt, I will not be going to either.  Disappointing.  I have decided, however, that we are going to work towards going to this to take part in the Level 1-   

 

2 - 3 July 2011 Brenfield Farm Scotland Q

Levels 1, 2 and 3 Individuals and Pairs
Level 4

This event will be the STAG Scottish Championships 2011



Venue- Brenfield Farm
Lochgilphead
Argyll
Scotland
PA30 8ER

One of the girls from the yard took her horse to this last year and another couple hired horses for the two days.  They had fantastic weather, a brilliant time and were very impressed with the venue and the organisation.  Wolfie would need to be coralled over night, I'd have to get electric fencing, I'd probably camp.  To get us there organised and prepared, will no doubt be a military operation but also very exciting and a huge challenge.

For anyone who doesn't know, Trec was developed from the expertise required of horse and rider while out hacking, it is designed to test navigational competence, control of horse's paces and ability to tackle a variety of obstacles.  These skills are tested over three phases - orienteering on horseback (POR), control of paces (CoP) and cross-country / obstacle course (PTV).  

 

Okay, now we just need the ice to melt.

 

I have decided to get Dr Cook's bitless bridle beta (a synthetic, leather-look, washable bridle).  I have read vast amounts of information on the various types of bitless bridles, sidepulls, cross overs, their actions and the material they are made from.  Like everything, some may work well for some horses and not for others.  My main concerns, were pressure points and the bridle twisting or rubbing.  I'm going to give the Dr Cook a go and see how we get on.  Fortunately, they allow you to customise the size, so I'm going up the stables to measure Wolfie's head today.







 

 

 

 

 






















3 comments:

clairesgarden said...

I think the trec will be great fun, you will love it.

jc said...

It's been interesting to read through your progress with Wolfie. My first pony was a Highland x TB too. I now have a pure Highland (who writes his own blog). Wolfie might like to turn a hoof to that too!
I also ride in a Dr Cook bridle!

l_hendo said...

Good Luck Cat and Happy New year to you and Wolfie & Buttons x