Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Tuesday 20 April 2010

Walk on

I hacked Wolfie, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today (gave him Monday off). He's been absolutely brilliant, a total star. We've hacked along the road ourselves to get onto the railway line, he's been very forward and looking at everything, but he's so bold. I like a brave horse. We will just be walking for the next few weeks so it's completely aerobic work, but out of interest I want to try and roughly measure the distance we are covering. I don't always plan my route and take various tracks so working out distances from maps would be difficult. I have thought of strapping a pedometer to his leg, measuring his stride in walk and seeing if that would work. Endurance riders must use something I would imagine. It's not for any scientific fittening reason, just out of interest.

Wolfie has been separated from the rest of the boys and in the paddock with Jake again for the last couple of weeks. They are going back in with the boys tomorrow as the horses are supposedly being turned out for summer this weekend. I don't know if that's such a wise decision with the drop again in temperature and the weather being so unpredictable, but it's not my decision to make. It also means that I am going to have to buy Wolfie a new summer turn out as he shredded his other one. I thought I could have left it a bit longer, but if he's out all the time I need to be prepared for the weather to turn. Apparently Wolfie has been misbehaving and very difficult to lead going to his field in the morning. I turned him out on Saturday and Sunday morning, he was as good as gold, he's been an angel all weekend for me so I'm not going to comment on that.

No comments: