Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Sunday 16 November 2008

Rodeo

Wolfie did a pretty impressive rodeo horse impersonation today. He was really fresh and the air was icy cold. I dismounted and worked him quite hard from the ground before getting back on. I think I'm going to have to work him before getting on in the future, just to take the edge off him a bit. He has such a soft responsive mouth and is readily accepting and looking for a contact. I remember an instructor once describing the feel of the reins between the rider's hands and the horse's mouth as being like a knife slicing through soft melted butter. For the first time, I can properly feel that sensation with Wolfie. I just hope I can keep him this way, it's a huge deal to be so responsible. If he gets hardened or less sensitive it will be my fault.

1 comment:

Suzie said...

He's looking really lovely! Well done! I know what you mean about feeling so responsible, but you can't let that worry you too much - you're only human and as a rider, unless you are blessed with having Carl Hester's balance, you are going to have your weaknesses. Horses are fantastically forgiving. You are bound to have issues at some point, but you'll work through them as a pair and you'll have a stronger bond as a result. Keep at it!